Recently I posted that PirateBay was blocked in UK and partially in India. But this does not mean the site cannot be accessed, if you know how. I am sure many of you have already figured out a way to access blocked websites using proxies, VPNs or TOR. If you have not, read on.
I have already shown how you can set up the default exit country for a TOR network. It assumes that you have installed TOR. If you are on this blog for the first time and have not read my previous post, go ahead and install the Vidalia bundle.
Installation is simple. If you download the Browser bundle, you will have a portable browser which you can use to access blocked websites.
If you choose the Vidalia Bundle, you would need to configure your browser. I would recommend installing an alternate browser just for this purpose. Choose between Google Chrome and Firefox unless you are using it already. You could also try Opera or K-Melon.
For the purpose of Illustration, I will be using Firefox.
- Go to Tools menu. (You can do it either by using the shortcut keys (ALT+T) or by clicking on the Firefox Dropdown menu (top left)
- Go to Options. (Screenshot below)
- Go to Connection Settings (Screenshot below)
- Change the below settings. (Screenshot below)
- Select Manual proxy Configuration
- SOCKS Host is localhost and the corresponding Port is 9050
- SOCKS version is SOCKS v5
- UK ISPs Begin To Block The Piratebay (ghacks.net)
- The Pirate Bay Responds to UK ISP Block (tomshardware.com)